Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Guinea Pig, Hamster, or Lizard..... Decisions! Need Help!

For the last two month the kids have been asking about a pet.....

We have a dog but cannot have him at our current location so he is at a friends house and we all miss him very much.


                                                          WE LOVE YOU BUDDY!

 So my husband and I have discussed getting another pet. A smaller pet. He wants a lizard....yuck....I want something fuzzy. The kids want both! 

My six year old says "that every family needs a Guinea pig because that makes them a good family" I told her that "I did not have any when I was growing up" and her response as serious as can be "and look at your sisters and brothers they fight." Speechless!

I have not laughed so hard in a long time. 
I do not want to get both. So I have been researching the internet to see what would be more logical for us. So far I am still undecided so I thought I would take to the blog. 

Requirements:
We are a family of 6. So something that does not cost a lot to feed and maintain. We need something that can travel easily. We need something that will help teach the kids responsibilities. I still want something fuzzy, Lol, but not a requirement.




So Number #1: Guinea Pig

They are fuzzy, compared to all my research they are medium maintenance. They need hay and wood and exercise. They are awake most of the day! They live 5-8 years. They also bond with kids easily. That's what we need!

Start Up Cost is around $170 and $10 Monthly!

Number #2: Hamster
They are fuzzy, they are also medium maintenance. They need lots of exercise and also are great for 10 and younger. They live 3-5 years. They do not get very big. 

Start Up Costs is around $120 and anywhere from $10-$30 Monthly! That seems reasonable. 




Number #3: Leopard Gecko
They are scaly, they are nocturnal pets so they sleep a lot during day.  They live 10-15 years. 

Start up costs is around $300 and $60 a month (for live crickets healthier then the bottled one).

We go to Petco and PetSmart once a week to check out their selection! Every time we go everyone tries to scatter to a different area. 

I have two that want Hamsters, 2 that want Guinea pigs and 2 that want lizards.  

So this decision seems easy enough but everyone is still indecisive about which one we should get! 

Any Suggestions??? 

4 comments: